With four little ones every day is a bit chaotic. And that's okay. Because somehow I'm able to craft amid the chaos.

Saturday, June 18, 2011

Teddy Bear.

I used the Funky Friends Factory Honey the Teddy Bear pattern to make this little guy. I gave him to my son for his 1st birthday. Because of this I opted not to give him the safety eyes, or button eyes, the pattern called for. I also didn't give him a nose, because I didn't give him eyes. I kind of like the look though.

He was super easy and came together nicely. Because of this, I can't wait to try out more Funky Friends Factory patterns.

Friday, June 17, 2011

Shaped Rag Quilts

My little boy turned one the other day. So as one of his presents I gave him a turtle shaped rag quilt. I had previously made a dinosaur shaped rag blanket for my 3 year old son for Christmas. (I was too tired to get the turtle finished in time so I put it off making it til June.)

Monday, June 13, 2011

Pillowcase Nightgowns

While surfing the pinterest boards I came across a super easy tutorial from Gingercake on how to make a nightgown from a pillow case. So a few days later when I happened to be at a thrift store, I thought I would go and look at the pillowcases. They were 99 cents so I grabbed three and came on home. 

I made the pink one first because Miss Little's favorite color is of course pink! Also it had a ruffle at the bottom. She saw me with the pillowcases and she tried to steal it for her pillow (despite the fact that her pillow is just a travel size). I promised her I would let her have it after I fixed it. So I proceeded to make up her new nightgown.
You can't see it in the picture (and honestly you can't really see it unless you're looking really closely in real life) but there are darker pink vertical stripes. Also there are darker pink flowers on the ruffle. 

In her tutorial she used a button to close the back, but she suggested also using ties if you preferred. I just happened to have pink single fold bias tape in my stash, so I chose that route for binding the neck and the back and just let it go out to be ties.

Because the first nightgown turned out to be such a hit (she wore it all the next day and wouldn't take it off) I decided to whip up a second one. I happened to have purple double fold bias tape in my stash so I chose to use the yellow pillowcase with purple flowers. It turned out cute, but I think it would be better to use pillowcases without any super noticeable stripes, because you don't have the material to play around and match up stripes.

Because this one lacked the ruffle, I thought I'd dress it up a little by adding a purple ribbon around the bottom of the bodice. As purple is Miss Little's second favorite color she liked this one too. Though, she informed me, the pink is her favorite.

Saturday, June 11, 2011


I made this poppet for a friend. It is based on a character he played in a Table Top RPG. He had drawn a picture of his, which is what I was going off of. You can see it here if you like.  It was definitely my most involved poppet.
 I used the male modification of the poppet pattern (as I did with the Lincoln poppet) and I used the included abs plate to give him sculpted abs. Because the character is covered in rune tattoo/scar things I used fabric paint to cover his body in different designs. His hair is hand spun merino yarn spun on my drop spindle. He has two gold hoop earrings (just gold colored jump rings) and a manacle (which is felt, fabric paint, and a bit of jewelry chain). His eyes are suncatcher eyes.

Friday, June 10, 2011

Abraham Lincoln Poppet

 Last year, my brother-in-law (who teaches US History) was getting married (to a girl who also teaches US History). When I asked them who their favorite person in history was, they both agreed that it was Abraham Lincoln. So I decided to try and make him in poppet form.

His clothes were somewhat difficult, but in the end I think it turned out great. (Except for shoes. I just gave up on those.) For the clothes (not including the hat) I simply used patterns that I found on Craftster.

His hair, beard, and eyebrows, are made from fun fur. Which though messy to work with, turned out great.

Thursday, June 9, 2011

Sister Missionary Mini Poppet

 I am LDS. Awhile ago, my sister was serving a mission for our church in California. As a present, I decided to maker her a mini poppet version of her.
So here is a little sister missionary poppet complete with name tag. She is 70% of the original pattern size.

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Poppets, My Very First

Over on Craftster an amazing lady ghilie came up with a awesome pattern and freely shared it with anyone who wanted it. It was a doll and she called the dolls poppets. I've now made several and have decided it was time to put them here on my blog. I thought I'd start with my first one.

I was trying to make something completely different, but the fabric I had bought for the skin wasn't quite right, and the joints I was using annoyed me (I was using cheap plastic teddy bear joints), so instead I made Marcelline. 
 Here she is headless and showing off her pink star tattoo, which I had to add to cover a little hole in the fabric.
 This kind of shows how creepy they can look with out hair. I let my daughter (who was 3 at the time) pick her hair. She choose navy blue. I thought that looked a little too plain, so I added streaks to the front.

Finally, here you can see that I didn't stuff her neck enough, and that her hair was too heavy.