Tuesday, November 16, 2010
"I made this magnet board for my father-in-laws birthday. I bought a surfboard shaped piece of wood from Michael's (it was the closest I could find to what I wanted). Then I painted it with three coats of magnetic paint (waiting at least 24 hours between each coat). The magnetic paint went on kind of rough and thick, but oh well. Then I painted over that with green but was unable to hide some of the gray from the magnetic paint from coming through. My husband said he liked it that way so I guess it was ok. Then using a Family Tree scrapbook kit I made a family tree for my father-in-laws family and modge podged it on. I also modge podged on some green leaf vellum. This also did not go as I wanted. The vellum rolled up on itself and bubbled horribly. However, I liked the end result with it bubbly and ripply so it worked. Last I took a few little painted wooden leaves and added magnetic strips to the back of them to make magnets. Perfect example of a project gone wrong that still ended up great."
Now that a lot of time has passed and I can see the overall gift. It's not actually used as a magnet board, but more as decoration. So I guess I could have for gone the magnetic paint. Honestly, I'm not sure I would still qualify this as great but . . . I guess it's the thought that counts.