With four little ones every day is a bit chaotic. And that's okay. Because somehow I'm able to craft amid the chaos.

Monday, November 8, 2010

Snowman Birthday Party

In January of 2009 my son turned 1. For his party we went with a snowman theme. There were three little ones present: my son (of course), my daughter, and their cousin. So I made them cute little snowman hats.
I measured my children's heads but theirs still ended up slightly too small. They still liked them though. I actually made four but I messed up on the first one and it only got a mouth and nothing else. My daughter called it her ghost. The reason one of them is a snowwoman is because my daughter came in when I was making them and thought hers needed a hair bow. I found the tutorial for them at Family Fun.

We had a dinner of chili and cornbread to start off the party and I decided to make place cards.
So I made a small army of snowmen. They were very simple. Just styrofoam balls, ribbon, pipe cleaners, white pom poms, pins and beads. The tutorial for making them is from Free Kids Crafts. I modified it slightly. Instead of just pinning on the eyes I glued them and I got rid of the arms and song book.

Finally we have the cakes. First I made my son a smash cake.
It's a snowball. White frosting with crystal sprinkles.  He really loves to eat so I thought he would tear right into it. However, he ate a lot of the dinner, so he wasn't so hungry for dessert. He did make a semi mess though. (Later, after the presents were open he snuck back into the kitchen and devoured somebody's piece of cake that had been left down. Then he made a real mess.)

The cake for everyone else was, of course, a snowman cake.

I got the idea from Cake Central's cake galleries. I modified it of course to fit what I wanted. The snowman is made from styrofoam balls covered in frosting. His eyes and buttons are chocolate chips and his nose is an orange M&M. His scarf are three pipe cleaners and his hat his made from ribbon with some white pom poms.
The cake itself is simply white boxed cake with a little bit of almond extract and some aqua blue food coloring gel.

No comments:

Post a Comment